For ECG and ICG recording we use the Kendall ARBO H98SG ECG electrodes.
For SCL recording we use Biopac EL507 electrodes
You can also choose to use other snap on ECG/ICG electrodes and/or other SCL electrodes with 1,5mm touchproof plugs.
How to attach electrodes and connect them to the VU-AMS.5fs?
Attachment of the ECG/ICG electrodes
Clean the skin at the 7 positions indicated in the figure. Rub the skin firmly with an alcohol soaked tissue or, if alcohol is not available, use a clean dry tissue. Attach an electrode by pressing the sticky plastic brim of the electrode on the skin and subsequently pushing the metal stud at the center of the electrode firmly, to properly spread the contact gel.
1. (V-) Slightly below the right collar bone 4 cm to the right of the sternum
2. (GND) On the right side, between the lower two ribs
3. (V+) Under the left breast, 4 cm (1.5") under the nipple
4. (I-) At the back, on the spine, at least 3 cm (1") above electrode 6
5. (I+) At the back, on the spine, at least 3 cm (1") below electrode 7
6. (V-) At the top end of the sternum, between the tips of the collarbones
7. (V+) At the low end of the sternum, where the ribs meet
Attachment of the lead wires and lead wire connector
Attach the lead wires to the electrodes according to the color-coding scheme in the figure above. Next, the blue ECG/ICG lead wire connector has to be plugged in the blue socket.
Starting the measurement by plugging in
The VU-AMS device is always standby. Measurement will (re-)start after you plug in the lead wire connector and press the event button for three seconds or longer. A beep will be heard to acknowledge the start of the recording and the green light will start flashing about once every three seconds.
Wearing the device
Put the VU-AMS device in its carrier bag with the lead wire connector facing up. Fasten the device with the Velcro strap in the bag and gird it on with the VU-AMS belt (if it is more convenient, you can also use your own belt). Make sure the device remains in a vertical position as much as possible.
Marking special events
A small black button is placed on top of the VU-AMS device next to the two lead wire plug connectors. To mark a special event, push this button for about one second. Pushing it will be confirmed by a short beep.
Stopping the measurement
If you want to stop the measurement temporarily (e.g. for taking a shower) press the event button for at least 3 seconds until the green light ceases flashing. Next, unplug the lead wire connector from its socket and disconnect the lead wires from the electrodes. The electrodes themselves are waterproof and need not be removed from the skin. To restart the measurement, simply follow the instructions above starting at 'Attachment of the lead wires'.
A small indicator light on top of the device will be flashing about once every three seconds as long as the VU-AMS is recording.
Something is going wrong.
- The green light is flashing very rapidly
Diagnosis: The Compact Flash card is not (properly) installed.
Solution: Install the Compact Flash card in the proper way.
- The green light is flashing rapidly
Diagnosis: The battery lid is not (properly) fastened.
Solution: Fasten the battery lid in the proper way.
- You hear a double beep (the ‘alert beep’), which is repeated after increasingly shorter intervals (from 30 to 10 seconds).
Diagnosis: The battery voltage is becoming low.
Solution: Replace the batteries with fresh ones.
- An electrode comes off, a lead wire gets detached, or the lead wire connector is pulled out by accident.
Solution: No worries. Just attach the electrode again (use a spare one if necessary), reattach the lead wire, or plug the connector back into the socket.